Thursday, January 6, 2011

Without music life would be a mistake....

i came across this quote on the internet today and it really plays into part with my life...  I was brought up listening to music all the time... I can remember getting a new stereo for Christmas, I think I was 8, and when I got up it was playing Bruce Springsteen's version of "Santa Claus is Coming to Town" Christmas morning...  I do have to say my momma did me right by introducing me to the good ol' classic rock & roll... I can remember going to see Steppenwolf & Foghat at the Arena Theater, and then seeing Steppenwolf again at Miller Outdoor Theater some years later and going backstage with my Uncle Ron (drummer of Steppenwolf) and eating cake with one of the guys from the Guess Who....  Seeing Bruce Springsteen when I was in 5th grade and being one of the lucky ones that got pulled up on stage during Dancing In The Dark.. Yes, Courtney Cox isn't the only one that got to do it ;)...  I have gone through my phases music wise, from rock to rap to country to rap to rock, and if you were to go through my music collection now, you'd see the influences LOL...  I try to see as many live shows as I possibly can, whether it be local live shows or big time act shows...

It all makes sense though... My husband is a guitar player, my oldest son plays viola and the youngest, well he dabbles in everything.. as a matter of fact he's playing the keyboard right now...  I am trying to get them exposed to as much music as possible and it is awesome that I can take them to so many shows in the Houston & Austin areas, thanks to all ages venues...  I am also lucky to have people I call friends that are involved in the local music scene, be it working the venues or working with the band or even being in the band...  How many 7 year olds can say that they have a well known Austin musician as their BFF and get to sing with him on the stage at House of Blues, or con another well known musician out of a handful of guitar pics?  And how many 13 year olds get to help with merch at shows and chase band members around to have them sign posters?

So yeah... music plays a big role in my family's life... and I wouldn't change any of it at all...

 Heres' me onstage with Bruce Springsteen, I was 10

Here is Mikey with Ryan Holley

Here is Mikey with Johnny Goudie

7 comments:

  1. God, you are the most awesome Mom ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sherie did a great job with music, i remember her album collection, it was amazing. Music has always been such a big part of who Jess is, I can mention a song I listened to years ago, and Jess remembers hearing me listen to it, and the events that surrounded it, and like with all music, it brings everything back. Music is like a marker in our lives, what we listened to at what age marks our maturity and the change and hopefully growth in ourselves. I luv ya Jess!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love you too, allison!!!!
    and i have her whole album collection... well her grandson's do ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. as long as you take them to see Dream Theater, they will turn out just fine ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. hahahah i'm sure they'll see Dream Theater at least once in their lives... more than likely it will be daddy that takes them though LOL

    and just hope the opener isn't as horrible as the one we saw when we all went to set them!

    ReplyDelete